OUR LADY OF MEDJUGORJE’S MESSAGE OF
AUGUST 25, 2011
“Dear children! Today I call you to pray and fast for my intentions, because Satan wants to destroy my plan. Here I began with this parish and invited the entire world. Many have responded, but there is an enormous number of those who do not want to hear or accept my call. Therefore, you who have said “yes”, be strong and resolute. Thank you for having responded to my call.”
Our Lady Calls Us To Renew Our Fidelity
1. In Prayer. Perhaps we have become too lackadaisical, too complacent, too lethargic, too passive in our prayer and fasting, so Our Lady wants us to wake up, be alert, to pray and fast with renewed intensity and commitment. So this message is like a call to arms, because there is a great struggle going on and she does not want us wishy-washy but to place ourselves in the front lines in the thick of the battle.
a. In her September 2 message to Mirjana, she says: “do not wander…everything around you is falling apart…renounce everything that distances you from the Lord.”
b. In her message of August 8, 1985: “I call you especially now to advance against satan by means of prayer.” Prayer is powerful; it brings down into our midst the power of God.
c. Elsewhere she says: “It is necessary for you to use a weapon that is secure and invincible. That weapon is prayer! Prayer possesses a powerful force and starts a chain reaction for good that is far more powerful than any atomic reaction.”
2. Especially the Rosary. “Pick up the rosary and with the rosary in your hand defeat satan!” Those are powerful words. That power is partially explained by Sister Lucia of Fatima who said that God has blessed the rosary with a special power these days in our struggle with the powers of darkness. And Our Lady adds that if we realized the power of the rosary we would be saying it continually all day. Padre Pio continually prayed the rosary through the day walking through the streets of his village.
3. And In Prayer Groups. In unity there is great strength. Our Lady says: “Prayer groups are powerful.” Both Jesus and Mary attest that alone we cannot possibly overcome evil in the world, but in groups and in union with Jesus and Mary we can. As St. John Vianney said: “To light a piece of straw is to create a flicker, but united in prayer is to light a bundle of hay and create a conflagration.”
4. United With Mary. Our Lady has always insisted that we unite with her at the beginning of our prayer, because, even if we get distracted, our prayer carries the value of Our Blessed Mother and God never refuses her requests.
1. Satan Wants to Destroy My Plan. “Stay sober and alert. Your opponent the devil is prowling like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, solid in your faith.” (I Peter 5:8-9)
a. God. Pope Benedict XVI said that satan is no match for God. The Gospel of Mark begins with the devil confronting Jesus: “What do you want of us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us?” Jesus said: “Shut up and come out of that man!” Pope Benedict: “History is not in the hands of the powers of darkness. Jesus, the supreme arbiter of historical events, leads history wisely to the new heaven and new earth.” (5-11-2005)
b. Mary. The Blessed Virgin enjoys an invincible power over the devil through her Immaculate Conception and she protects her children on the way of peace.
2. Satan Attacks Us. The “Liar” wants us to think he does not exist, but he is more active than ever. He obstructs, torments, intimidates, confuses, divides, and tries to discourage. His snares are dangerous; he suggests reasons why we can’t fast, why we can’t attend a prayer group, why we should not pray.
a. Our Lady wants us to keep renewing our resolutions to do what she asks.
b. She asks us to walk in her presence and be united with her heart.
C. And Say Your “YES” Again With All Your Might.
1. We do this by renewing our Act of Consecration with great feeling.
2. We do this by adding intensity and yearning to all our prayers.
-Rev. Robert Hughes, S.M.